Sunday, October 3, 2010

5 days in the sun

Being in the US in summer for the first time I decided to have a motorbike-trip. Since I am not fixed on driving a cruiser, I quickly came to the conclusion that AZride would be the best option.
We did the paperwork the day before and on Sunday, June 20, both the FZ6R and I were ready to start.

Gabor and Monica had a tour worked out for me that should take me from Phoenix via Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon, then over to the east to the Apache reservation, a loop down to New Mexico and then back to Phoenix.
The Bike was in perfect condition and extremely fun to ride. When forest fires spread up around Flagstaff and I called them, my renters quickly checked out whether the road I was to take was still open or not - thanks a lot!

While planning the trip, definitely take into account their opinion on scenic roads - the only time I had to take a different road than the one they suggested was on my way from Flagstaff to Show Low. Because of roadwork (including oil on the asphalt, as I was told by one of the workers) at Lake Mary I had to turn around and take the Interstate 40 - horribly boring!!
The only good point about this unexpected change in plans was that I came to see the Petrified Forest. A guy named Ray that I met on the road to Flagstaff told me about "worlds oldest dealer of petrified woods". He lived at the petrified wood already before it became a national park.
I tried to find him but only found a house that could have been his, on the south side near the entrance to the park. An interesting place.

Unfortunately, on my 5th day in Arizona a thunderstorm made me stay around Show Low, which is definitely one of the most boring places I have ever been to. I was reimbursed on my 6th day, when I rode "home", again under an all blue and sunny sky.

All in all, I had 6 extraordinary days on a wonderful bike for a good price, all beautiful landscapes and very friendly and experienced renters.
BIG RECOMMENDATION.

No comments: