Wednesday, February 13, 2008

1600 miles in and around Arizona

I am grateful to be among AZRide's satisfied customers. Monica and Gabor have created something special and I highly recommend it to anyone who shares a passion for motorcycles and great scenery. Their approach and their fine stable of bikes make it easy once you stop dreaming and pick up the phone. The bikes are first rate and worthy of your confidence. I truly get the impression that Gabor treats each one of them as it were his only bike. Monica makes sure your questions are answered and that your needs are met. Arizona and the neighboring states take care of all the rest, providing unlimited options for magnificent views and memorable experiences.

I booked my trip for late September, 2007. Riding Harleys around Florida is nice but I always wanted to throw my leg over a BMW and I can never get enough of the West. I made the call and in no time had arranged for 7 days on a R1200GS. With my 6'5" frame and the kind of riding I had it mind, it turned out to be a great choice. Great at speeds and in turns. Sixty days to plan, gear up and anticipate the trip were put to good use and I spent many an evening in Google Earth trying to plan the perfect route.

My trip ended up covering 1600 miles of Indian reservations and mountain roads. After checking out Prescott and Jerome in AZ, I spent a night in Sedona and headed north through Oak Creek Canyon and on through the Navajo reservation and four corners area to Dolores, Colorado. I can recommend "Cabins at Bear Creek" near Dolores as a fine place to rest up to tackle the "Million Dollar Highway". The loop through Durango, Silverton, Ouray and Telluride provided views and twisties worthy of that name to a motorcycle tourer. A second night back at the Cabins and it was off for eastern Arizona and its White Mountains. Hannagan Meadow Lodge was my destination and provided a nice place to stay and a great place to ride. That was my first taste of the forests and meadows that you'll find at 9000 ft at the top of Route 191. Talk about your twisties, but be careful!

I made the trip alone this time and truly loved the solitude, but I may never again get that chance. After sharing my pictures and stories from the trip I'm afraid I'll be leading a tour group next time. The morning after one of my night's rests three older retired men stopped to watch me load up for my departure. I could see in their expressions equal parts of envy and regret. One of them said, "I wish I had done something like that when I was younger". At 52 I'm no kid but I thank God I'll never have to make that statement. I hope you don't either. Make plans now!

Steve from Florida

No comments: