Saturday, April 9, 2011

In my line of work, there are often missed opportunities when staying cities far from home. I like to get out and explore whenever I can. Even when time is tight, there's so much to experience and it's closer than most people think. Today was no exception.


I had scoped out AZRider.comthe night before knowing that I would have the afternoon free in Phoenix upon arrival in Arizona. So after a quick checkin at the hotel, I rushed over to MCTours and though I would call ahead next time to help Gabor and Monica set my paperwork up, everything went very smoothly and I was on my way within minutes. I had clear instructions and good sense of where I was headed. And the recommended ride of @ 150 miles fit my afternoon schedule perfectly. I wasn't rushed at all. In fact, I enjoyed several stops for a photo or drink of water.



The first open stretch took me North East on Hwy 87 where I turned off and swept my way south again through mixed desert and rock country that followed a green bed of cottonwoods that familiarly disclose where the water runs in this otherwise dry zone.



The Apache Trail (Route 88) was especially enjoyable with its consistent sweeps then tighter turns. I got lucky. There was virtually no traffic this day and the sun was comfortably warm. I rolled one way, then the other with light shifting, not trying to break any records but happy to have a clear path ahead of me both there and back.



In Tortilla Flat I met some local riders and we shared some stories and laughs before reversing tracks towards town. It was a nice interlude on an otherwise solo afternoon adventure.


All in all, I was happy I made the effort to get out for the ride and I will certainly do it again when in Phoenix. I would happily recommend MCTours/AZrider.com.

Until next time, Thanks

Josh

No comments: