Monday, June 14, 2010

June 2010 trip

I began my 5 day adventure at MC Tours experiencing Monica's and Gabor's excellent paper work efficiency and immaculately prepared Honda Goldwing. I left Phoenix and traveled in the 100+ F heat via Wickenberg and Kingman to Boulder City, NV where I saw the new Hoover Dam Bypass bridge under construction.

Be sure and stop at the Cowboy cafe in Wickenberg for an excellent breakfast or lunch. This trip will be the last one in which I or anyone else will be able to cross the Colorado river from AZ to NV atop the Hoover Dam since the dam road will be closed to vehicular traffic once the bypass bridge is opened in early 2011.

I rode the next day to Zion National Park via I-15 out of Vegas and SR 9 thru Hurricane, UT. Zion is spectacular and well worth the time to get there. The road from Zion east to Mt Carmel Junction is currently under construction/renovation and is gravel surfaced for quite an extent. The National Park Service web site for Zion has construction schedules and road closure schedules for this part of SR 9 eats. If you have a heavy touring rig, I suggest you avoid SR 9 going east from Zion NP and take UT SR 59/AZ SR 385 out of Hurricane to get to Kanab, UT.

Third day was the trip from Kanab to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. AZ SR 67 to/from the Rim is a delight to ride on a motorcycle and the views from the North Rim are spectacular (even better than the views from the South Rim). Be sure to take the short hike from the GC Lodge to Bright Angel Point overlook.

From the NRGC, I rode to the old/new Navajo Bridges at Marble Canyon on the way to Page, AZ for the night.

I took the Glen Canyon Dam tour (about an hour) and highly recoomend the tour if that is your cup of tea. Fourth day was the ride from Page, AZ to Holbrook, AZ via Tuba City and US 264 thru the Navajo and Hopi Reservations and then south via AZ SR 87, east on BiA15 thru Dilkon, then south on Bia6 and SR 77. Very windy day, but the 'Wing was steady as a rock at 65 mph and the wind protection was great! I stayed at a Route 66 roadside icon in Holbrook called the Wigwam Motel. This was a "bucket list" stop for me and the room rate was very reasonable at about $53 a night. The "teepee" I stayed in was cool, clean and comfortable. The proprietors were very warm and welcoming, so I recommend you stay at the Wigwam if/when you get to Holbrook. You will need reserve a teepee at least 2-3 weeks prior to the date you wish to visit and the motel desk does not open for business until 3:30-4:00 each day.

The food at Romo's Mexican Restaurant in Holbrook was excellent. I could not eat all of the portion they served and I'm a hearty eater! The museum at the old county courthouse in Holbrook is free and very interesting, especially the old jail in the courthouse.
Day 5 was the trip from Holbrook to MC Tours in Scottsdale via SR 377, Sr 277 and SR 260 to Payson, AZ and then via SR 87 (the Beeline Highway) to Scottsdale. I especially love the route from Heber to Payson as that road is on the Mogollon Rim and is one of the best motorcycle roads in AZ. Just slow down and enjoy the sights and smells of the high country pine forest.
Monica and Gabor once again provided me with a great motorcycling experience and I highly rrecommend anyone who is wanting to ride AZ, UT or NM that they rent from Monica and Gabor. You will not be disappointed in either their personal service or the bikes they rent. Thanks Monica and Gabor! Hope to see you again next year!

No comments: