Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Paul from France

I arrived home two days ago but it already seems like it has been a long time since I was riding in Arizona. It's almost as though I have awoken from a wonderful dream. What a great way to have spent a week!

Tombstone
Hwy 366
Hwy 191
Greer Lodge
Humphrey Peak
Grand Canyon
The ride to Sierra Vista was done via the freeway in the interest of time, but most of the rest was done on backroads. I passed through Tombstone and then found state highway 366 just south of Safford. Twenty-five miles of mountain twisties, although the last nine were a 'no-go' zone of dirt. The next day I made my way to US highway 191. The ride from Morenci to Springerville is a rider's fantasy, good road and lots of curves for over 100 miles, with almost no traffic. That night I stayed at the Greer Lodge Resort in Greer, west of Springerville, a delightful setting overflowing with atmosphere and staffed by great folks. Payson was my next stop. Unfortunately, it was still too early in the season for exploring the Mogollon Rim area but a nice substitute was the Tonto Natural Bridge.
I had planned a relatively easy ride for the next day, perhaps near Sedona-Oak Creek but instead I found myself in Flagstaff before noon so decided to head for the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, which I reached around 3 o'clock, helped along by 60 mph tail winds. 44 degrees the next morning as I headed south and reached Prescott in time for a ritual visit to the Outback Restaurant for perhaps the best BBQ ribs anywhere. It was nice to drop back down to the valley and 80 degrees for my last riding day.
From my first contact with you I suspected I was in the hands of true professionals and this was confirmed when I arrived at your shop. The welcome was warm and genuine, the paperwork was ready, the bike was spotless, and you and Gabor had thought of everything down to the smallest detail. The return was also handled quickly and thoroughly, you even called a taxi for me.
I would not hesitate to recommend MCTours to anyone with even the slightest thought of biking in Arizona or the surrounding states. Dealing with you was a real pleasure.
Best regards, Paul

No comments: