Thursday, February 25, 2010

Matthew from Virginia

I had a great time. I took exit 98 off of I-10 then south on Wintersburg Road past Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station. Palo Verde is the largest nuclear generation facility in the United States. Its three units are capable of generating nearly 4,000 megawatts of electricity. From there I connected with Old US 80 which takes you past some beautiful scenery including the historic Gillespie Dam and Gillespie Bridge over the Gila River. The Gillespie Bridge was completed in 1928. This two lane, nine span, steel truss bridge replaced the original 1921 river crossing. Gillespie Dam failed at approximately 10:30 on the morning of January 9, 1993 and was never repaired. In Gila Bend I took I-8 west to Yuma, Arizona and Winterhaven, California where I visited the Yuma Territorial Prison State Historic Park and a date farm. On the return trip I had a couple of hours to spare so I toured Arizona's Capitol.

Matthew Radcliff

Along Old US Hwy 80 near the Gila River.


The Gillespie Bridge over the Gila River.


Yuma Territorial Prison State Historic Park.


Date Farm in Winterhaven, California.


Arizona's Capitol.


House of Representatives Chamber in the Arizona Capitol.

No comments: